Saturday, March 29, 2008

My babies are growing up!!

3 John 1:4 says " I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth."

I have 4 children. My girls are 5, 15 (almost 16) and 18 and my son is 7. My girls have such a heart for the Lord and I've seen them mature as they've gotten older to more and more take responsibility for their walk with Him. Now I have my 2 little ones. They both, when they were ready on their own, gave their hearts to Christ and it's so neat to see them getting older, maturing and finding out more and more about God. On the way to church on Friday (I work at the church on Fridays), my 7 year old son asked "Mom, do all Baptist churches have it right?"

Wow. I asked him what he meant (just to be sure I was going to answer the right question) and he said, "Well, there are a lot of churches around and I was just wondering if the Baptist church has it right."

I just told him the truth. "Well, honey. At our church, we follow the Bible. If it's in the Bible we do it. If it's not in the Bible, we look at what else the Bible has to say that might help us to make a decision on what we want to do and see if it's something God wants us to not do or if it's OK to do it. I don't think any church is perfect but we do try to follow God's Word as closely as we can."

I thought that was a pretty mature question for a 7 year old! THEN, as I was working, my 5 year old came and sat next to me. I do the graphics and words to songs that will go on the screen on Sunday, and I had a picture of the crucifixion of Christ and my daughter asked, "Did Jesus really have nails in His hands or was He tied to the cross?" Wow again!! Two great questions in one day!! I was able to talk to her about how horrible a death Jesus died for us because of all the bad stuff that we do (sin). She asked "Did He hurt? Since He's God?" and I told her, "Yes. He did hurt a lot. A whole lot."

It's amazing just how much discipling and ministering we can do in our own families. I thank God that He's given me the blessing of raising these 4 kids for Him. What a privilege and honor and I pray that I can do a job that's worthy of Him.

No comments: