Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Chicken Piccata

When planning my menu this week, I asked DH what he wanted - if there was anything special he'd like to have and he asked if I could find a recipe for chicken piccata. So I went to handy-dandy AllRecipes.com and looked it up and sorted on ratings. I found a recipe that looked really good and easy so I took it and modified it for our situation.

So here's the recipe as I made it. We LOVED it and I served it over angel hair pasta and had green beans on the side.

Chicken Piccata

4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1/2 horizontally and pounded thin (so 8 pieces total)
2 eggs
2 Tbspl lemon juice

3/4 cup flour
3/8 tsp. garlic powder
3/8 tsp. paprika

2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
6 tsp. chicken bouillon powder
1 1/2 cups boiling water
6 Tbsp. lemon juice

1) In a small bowl, beat the eggs together with the lemon juice. Set aside.

2) In a shallow bowl or dish, mix together the flour, garlic powder and paprika. Dip the chicken in the egg/lemon mixture then in the seasoned flour.

3) In a large skillet, melt one stick of butter and brown the coated chicken pieces. Remove as they finish and put them in a baking dish. Place them in an oven at 350 degrees and cook about 10 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink inside. Drain remaining butter and clean pan. (I did this because by the time I was done, the butter was browned and I didn't want that for the sauce.)

4). In the same pan (that is now cleaned), melt the other stick of butter. In the meantime, dissolve the bouillon in the boiling water. Add the dissolved bouillon and lemon juice to the melted butter and cook for about 5 minutes. (I added some cornstarch dissolved in water to this to thicken it but you can keep it thin if you prefer).

5) Serve the chicken with the sauce poured over the top.


My dad loved it. My kids loved it. My husband loved it. *I* loved it. A definite keeper recipe and one I'd make for company too. :)

No comments: