Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A day "off" for mom!

I don't know how summer is for everyone else but at our home, summer is BUSY. Our church really ramps up for the summer with lots of activities for the kids so I find I'm running all over all the time. There was youth week to start (teens out all week at activities and the nightly meeting), then we went on vacation for a week (lots of planning, shopping, loading stuff on the boat, etc.). As soon as we got back, we went right into MiniDOZ which is the dance/tambourine worship camp for the girls (my two older ones were teachers and my little one was one of the campers). Now this week is a week "off" but it's the week before VBS which is a busy week for me since I feed all 450 kids and 160 workers. We also have dry run this Thursday so I need to have food ready for that. Next week will be VBS, then we have a few days before we go on our 2 weekk vacation which of couse means more planning, shopping, loading stuff on the boat. Once we get home, I'll have about 13 loads of laundry to do, will need to get school stuff ready to go, and just get ready for the fall. So my summer is quite busy.

So in all of that, I started feeling REALLY overwhelmed last week - almost to the point of tears. I decided that today, Tuesday, would be my day "off" of any responsibility. My plan was to not even leave the house but I think that I may go to a new Greek place for lunch with hubby. But otherwise, I'm not leaving the house and I'm not even going to make dinner! Hubby will bring home a great dinner from a Mexican place we love and it's cheap - only $20 which will feed all 6 of us easily with leftovers. What's really funny is that because I'm home, I'm motivated to get things done! I never feel motivated to do a lot of stuff around the house when I'm out of it all the time but today? I've got a to-do list a mile long but I'm not pressuring myself to get it done! What freedom!! I love it!

So I'm off to enjoy my day "off". I think I'm first going to clean off the homeschool bookcase and put in all of the new books that came yesterday. I'll toss in a load of laundry too. Ahhhhh - I'm loving life today. Oh! And God gave me a gift! It's cold and rainy today - so no guilt about not taking the kids to the pool! LOL

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woot woot! Enjoy your day, my friend! :D

Parsley said...

A day off? Hum..sounds good..think I'll order one of those haha.

I enjoyed reading your blog.

Mamame said...

LOL - Thanks Parsley!

Oh, and you know what I did on my day "off"?? I went through 12 years of homeschooling supplies, cleaned off the two homeschool bookcases and the regular family bookcase and listed a bunch of stuff on VegSource (although I have about twice as much still left to post). But I feel renewed, encouraged and a bit proud of what I accomplished! :D