Saturday, August 1, 2009

CRAZY Busy - VBS was the best one yet!

This week was our VBS week. Our church is a bit atypical to most churches in that our VBS is large. We had over 450 kids registered (not including worker's kids in nursery and PreK - VBS is for K through 6th grades) and 250+ workers. It was amazing to see God's hand at work all through the week.

I run the refreshment department. That means that I run the department that puts out over 400 kid snacks per day plus keep 2 tables of food going for all of the workers and any parents that wish to stay. To give you an idea of what we went through this week, here's a partial list:

10 large canisters of lemonade mix
1800 Oreo cookies
900 Chips Ahoy
45 1 lb. boxes of Golden Grahams
30 bags of mini marshmallows
12 bags of M&Ms (these three ingredients made up a trail mix)
1050 cups of coffee
3 gallons of milk
2 gallons of 1/2 and 1/2
12 large flavored creamers
46 Entenmann's cakes/donuts/cookies
15 cantaloupes
35 dozen bagels
15 tubs of butter
7 lbs. sugar
3000 cups

We also had a lot of donations of food so we were all pretty well stocked. I only had a few leftover Oreos and some lemonade mix left. We stayed under budget by $600, which was GREAT!!

But better than that, we collected enough money to help build an orphanage in Burkina Faso in Africa (over $5400), over 1400 toiletry items for the local needy families and we had MANY decisions for Christ (I kept hearing about them - but don't know the numbers yet). It was such an exciting week but oh, so busy! I had to be at church each day at 8:30 and never left before 1:30. Thursday I left at 4 and today (Friday), I left church at 4:45 only to return for our fair at 5:45. I had a cup of tea at home and that's it!

I'll try to post some other pictures but here's one from our opening today, and then the second picture is my "office" at church - my station in the sound booth. My job is to set up the computer to project the words and graphics on the screen and there was a LOT of that for VBS.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome time you had! Even tho it was crazy busy, I'll bet it was every minute worth it to you. :)

Have a relaxing weekend!