Monday, September 28, 2009

Yummy new recipe - Garden Chowder

I made this for dinner last night and it was really good, easy to make and I can see that it can use a lot of veggies that you happen to have around.  I bought a whole head of cauliflower, which we don't normally eat, and I used so little of it that next time I think I'll just use an inexpensive bag of frozen broccoli and cauliflower instead of buying those two veggies fresh.  I used an old bag of frozen broccoli cuts that I had in the freezer for the broccoli since I THOUGHT I bought it but couldn't find it.  Oh well. Everyone loved the soup and with biscuits and salad, it was a filling dinner that was really tastey.  So here you go!

Garden Chowder
1/2 chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
1 cup EACH diced potato, celery, cauliflower, broccoli and carrot
3 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 tsp. salt
2-3 cloves garlic minced
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
1-2 dashes of paprika, coriander and ground mustard
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese

In a dutch oven, saute green pepper and onion in butter until tender.  Add vegetables, water, bouillon, salt, pepper; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.  Combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into pan.  Allow to thicken at a low temperature.  Add the parsley and other spices.  Just before serving, stir in the cheese until melted.

yield:  6 servings

2 comments:

Michelle ~ Blogging from the Boonies said...

This sounds like a yummy, comfort food type meal ~ and also easily adapted to a vegetarian diet. We'll try it!
We eat a lot of cauliflour, a head a week. We like it raw, dipped in hummus. We also steam it and have it as a side dish, or add it to pasta and stir fry. You can also steam it until very soft and mash it with potatoes and you'd never even know it was there! Just a few ideas... :)

Mamame said...

Oh yeah, we'll use it but the kids don't really like it so I don't normally buy it. What I may do is to chop it, quickly steam it for a minute then freeze it for this soup in the future. I'm NOT going to let this go bad. :) I MUST use it. LOL